I have noticed that several of the Holiday 2011/Spring 2012 items at J.Crew are strikingly similar to their counterparts from Spring and Summer of 2008. Here are some fun comparisons:
 |
| 2008 Collection Fleur Suede Flats |
 |
| 2012 Viv flower flats (Just received in one of those cardholder e-mails) |
|
The 2008 ones were all leather. The 2012 ones are only leather uppers. They sure are pretty though! They are $198. I found the 2008 ones at TJ Maxx back in Feb '09, that was a lucky score! Check out the heeled versions:
 |
| 2008 Fleur Suede Peep toes |
 |
| 2012 Fleurette Peeps |
They even come in the same colors: this pretty violet, and a marigold color. The 2008 ones also came in a gorgeous bright blue.
Let's move onto clothing, shall we?
 |
| 2008 Joelle Cami |
 |
| 2012 Lana Cami |
These are actually the same cami. I have both versions and they are the same cut, fabric, everything. A truly lovely top in both versions and the Lana can be had for $39.99 right now, minus the 30% discount.
 |
| 2008 Polynesian Print Sweater Dress |
 |
| 2012 Jules Dress in fanfare |
This one is more of a stretch but I do see the similarity. Frankly I prefer the 2008 print, which also came in a pretty khaki color on a cardigan.
 |
| 2008 Harlow Blouse |
 |
| 2012 Silk pintuck blouse |
The 2012 definitely seems inspired by 2008's Harlow. Both are gorgeous and classic pieces.
 |
| 2008 Super 120s dress (a very un-J.Crew name) |
 |
| 2008 Super 120s Blair Dress |
 |
| 2012 Memo Dress in Super 120s |
Here we have both a design and a color being repeated. The memo is strikingly similar in style to the Blair (which made me look like a retro flight attendant) and borrows its color from the also similar Super 120s dress. The v-neck on the Memo is very flattering and balances the sleeves nicely!
So far, the 2012 copies that I have detailed here are nice. None of them seem to suffer from quality issues and they are nice, versatile pieces. (The Jules dress, maybe not...). So now let's move onto some not so wonderful, horribly cheap imitations of beloved 2008 necklaces.
 |
| 2008 Double Strand Frog Necklace |
 |
| 2012 Double Strand resin link frog necklace |
|
At least they kept the same pretty color scheme? I guess that's good?
The next one is even worse.
 |
| 2008 Double strand giraffe necklace |
 |
| 2012 double strand resin link giraffe necklace |
The only resemblance here is the clasp, but they even cheaped out on that. It is smaller and does not have the pretty turquoise eyes that make the 2008 version pop. The copy editor from space (Thanks, wellfedfred!) even has the nerve to refer to this necklace as "back from the archives and made modern with amber-colored, oval-shaped resin links and hand assembled barrel beads".
Ummm, no.What it should say is this: "We have seen how much the 2008 double strand glass beaded animal necklaces sell for on eBay, so we hope you'll pay almost as much for this knock off that we made out of plastic necklaces we found in the clearance bin at Forever 21 and leftover Perler beads from our kid's latest craft project."
Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy either of the new cheap imitations, because I would, so I could remove the clasp and attach it to my own handmade strands of glass beads. But for $138? Are they out of their minds!?
Are there any other item's you've seen that remind you of items past? What do you think of J.Crew copying themselves?
When I tried on the Jules in fanfare, I totally thought of the polynesian dress, which I own. Different material & cut, but the general idea is the same. Good post!
ReplyDeleteSome fun comparisons! I just scored the Lana cami in that vibrant coral colour for $19.99 minus 30%.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Unfortunately I was not AS into j.crew back in 2008 (or before) as I am now, so I have no basis of comparison. However, I do like the more classic turn j.crew is taking, versus the trendy one they were doing in recent, previous seasons.
ReplyDeleteGlad you started a blog - would you consider enabling RSS feeds for those of us who like to use a feed reader?
ReplyDeleteWhen I put the address of your blog into Google Reader, I get posts from an earlier version of this blog.
Once feeds are enabled, this URL should work:
http://judiciousshopaholic.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Thanks!
Cate, I have no idea how to do that. I "allowed blog feeds" in the settings but I don't know if that takes care of the issue or not.
ReplyDeletegigiofca, yes, that's exactly it. The general idea is the same. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteRose, that is such a steal! The vibrant coral color looks nothing like the picture, but it is still pretty.
AppGal, I agree. The trendy nonsense of 2009/10 was awful, I am relieved that they seem to be somewhat over that!
Great post! and why am I just now discovering that you have a blog?! Boy, am I slow! :o)
ReplyDeleteMy4Boys, well, it hasn't been around very long! Glad you stopped by!
ReplyDeleteI was lucky enough to find several pairs of the suede fleur flats and heels. Did you know it also came in hot pink? Oh and I have that violet super 120 dress, love it. Fun post, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI'm a new reader and follower. I just found you through Jill at All the Chic Things post about the Liebster Blog Award.
ReplyDeleteI was really happy about the return of the frog necklace, until I saw the cheap-o plastic chain link.
Tara
Penniless Socialite
Hey There,
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you doing the blog thing in addition to PV. :-) Love it so far!
I agree on the frog and giraffe necklaces-- on super sale I'd buy them, take off the cheap resin part and make a way better version myself!
MSA
So happy to find your blog! I am a new lover of J. Crew(from last year) and from other bloggers, learnt that their pieces were much better tailored before.
ReplyDeleteNew follower of you.
http://mui28.blogspot.com