April 19, 2013

DIY J.Crew Flower Lattice Necklace

If you've been reading my blog for a little while, then you might know of my obsession with the J.Crew flower lattice necklace.

J Crew necklace



I think it is my most coveted piece of all time, behind even the library dress, skirt, or penelope heels. Or maybe I just feel that way now because I own all of those items after long searches... But, anyway, the flower lattice necklace is the rare piece of J.Crew statement jewelry that is substantial, well made, and timeless - I have similar rhinestone jewelry from the early 20th century, and I really don't think it will ever go out of style. Unfortunately, it also sold out while I was hemming and hawing about buying it. I did manage to snag the peach version, but to me the real stunner is the multicolored. My dream is to wear it with the fuchsia Dani dress, like such:

Too much?


In my googling for possible knockoffs to purchase, I came across this amazing DIY that a blogger of the blog Bromeliad created.

She took some vintage brooches that she had laying around (wish I had some!) and made a non permanent gorgeous flower lattice inspired necklace. Check it out in full here.

Here is her final result: 

Source
I am seriously in awe. The possibilities are endless here. I mean, I have seen piles of brooches at Salvation Army, and while they are probably not vintage and not that great looking on their own, grouped together they could be really beautiful and for only a few dollars and hours! I am definitely going to try this so I can have different colors to wear with different outfits.

So, thank you google, for helping me discover a new blog and a new way to repurpose old pins and brooches.

Anyone else going to try this? 

9 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people are so creative, but I am happy to copy their ideas!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much. Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect old watch chains, which I string together to make chains for pendants.
    I've also had a jeweler add a loop to a single cufflink - Himself came home from a bad night at the printer missing the other - so now it's a pendant!

    re: using old brooches on a chain - one of the things you need to watch for is the weight and balance of the individual pieces. This doesn't take talent, just patience. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fred, thank you for the tip! That is so cool about your watch chains... love making old things into something new.

      Delete
  4. Cool idea, thanks for showing this. I love vintage jewelry and why I never buy from that section of J.Crew, thank goodness one less thing to be addicted. I think I'm going to try something like it, I have a ton of sparkly things collected from the 20s through the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tiffany rose, yes, always good to have one less thing at the crew to be addicted to! If you do try this, please let us know how it turns out on your blog!

      Delete
  5. I love this! I have loads of vintage brooches, and have been buying them up at GoodWills for a special project. I tried to PIN you but Pinterest said no pinnable images. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynne! I have no idea how pinterest works... I am so low tech. Do I have to do something to make images pinnable?

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Please play nice :)