J Crew dress (see more floral dresses)
There she is in all her glory. And now I will show you the dress on myself. I should've steamed it first... because after steaming, it really came to life and the skirt is all full and cute now.
See, it's not totally obscene!!
The waist actually isn't too far above my natural waist,which is positive.
Annnnd high waist. I probably should not raise my arms this high at any point during the wearing of this dress.
Here's a close up of the print, the hem width, and the lovely silk organza that is sewn into the skirt to give it body. A very nice detail if you ask me. It then has a full lining which you see at the top of the photo.
I ordered my normal size 6 and it fits perfectly.
I am wearing this dress to a wedding this weekend, but after that I do plan to let the hem down as far as possible, if I can. That fancy organza lining may ruin my plans, though. I have some of that fancy invisible thread but it will be my first time doing a hem on silk. I hope I don't completely mess it up. I think the length is appropriate for a fun wedding but it would make me happy to have it a little longer!
I can't decide which shoes to wear, so I will be hauling several pairs to my destination :)
A final sale success... I love those!
So, what do you think of the dress? Do you too wish it was just a few inches longer? Have you had any final sale successes lately?


After we talked about shoes for this, I put the dress back in my cart. I wasn't going to order it, but I tried on the skirt today and the print is tdf. I thought it was a bit much when I saw it long ago, but you know how sometimes it takes a second to warm up to JC prints when they're bold or unique. I ordered 8 and hope I don't really need a 6. There's some bust seaming in the pic that made me go for the 8. I have a feeling that's the right size.
ReplyDeletePLEASE wear the gold shoes. Aren't those the Pippas? In any case, they're so cute -- yes, w/the mint clutch. Second choice are the lilac ones. The nude ones don't work w/this dress. You still need nude shoes w/no embellishment & I think they need to be more pink nude than brown nude. $.02
I think I was wrong. I tried on the solid colored Allie and the 6 fit well. Drat. Will have to try to finagle an exchange from an 8 to a 6 in the print dress. A SA had it on and it's just BEAUTIFUL. I'm sure you rocked it at the wedding. Or will, if it hasn't happened yet.
Deletegigi, I hope they let you exchange! Frankly, I was surprised that the 6 fit me... it seemed like it'd be tiny on the top.
DeleteOh, and I wore the lavender pippas. I didn't bring the gold after all. I do seriously need nude pumps, I can't find any that I like though!
I have the skirt coming. Is it wrong I also want the dress after seeing it on you? But no, I had a talk with Poppy (DaniBP's blog mascot) and I shall resist.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gigi's assessment on the shoes ... re color, embellishment, etc.
Oh, how I love the skirt! I hope you'll do a review :)
DeleteI love my skirt - I wore it to work for the first time yesterday and got a lot of oohs and aahs..i plan to wear it well in fall - i can see it with black tights and boots...
ReplyDeletei really like this dress on you! JC drives me mad with the too-high waists - i am busty as you know and their dresses, except the shifts - just don't work on me...
i am with gigi - gold shoes!
WMM - I bet the skirt looked amazing! The print is just so lovely. Yeah, the too-high waists are terrible. Wish they'd quit doing that!
DeleteHow funny, I succumbed to the Final Sale and ordered this dress too. I don't know why I insist on gambling on Final Sale from time to time. was intrigued by the print, and I am a sucker for pretty prints. I liked the skirt, too, but I didn't need another skirt. Anyway, I was relieved that I like it. I am 5'4" and I am going to let the hem out too. It's going to be beautiful for the wedding, and I agree with Gigi that the gold shoes will be perfect.
ReplyDeletecate, sometimes it's fun to gamble on final sale! I am so glad you ended up liking the dress. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked for me.... was prepared for failure!
DeleteWhat a nice dress.It looks great on you. I am wondering how tall you are for reference? Since I am 5'11 I am always wishing that J Crew's dresses were longer, especially the last few years. It seems like there are less choices for us tall women and J Crew doesn't leave much extra fabric to let the hem down either. I bought a few Boden dresses since they carry tall sizes and they fit nicely, but I prefer J Crew. Enjoy your new dress and the wedding.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I am about 5'10"ish. I prefer J.Crew too, over pretty much every other retailer... something about it keeps me coming back! I am thankful I bought suiting dresses in years past because now they make them all above the knee, which translates to mid-thigh on us tall gals!
DeleteI ALMOST ordr this dress! I could not find ANY IRL pictures to make sure I could...now I regreted no to have it in my package :-( it looks great on you!
ReplyDeleteAndrea, I have a feeling it will still be lingering in the sale section the next time there is an extra % off :) It doesn't seem to by flying off the shelves!
DeleteI bought both the dress and the skirt - the print is so beautiful and the fabrics (silk for the dress, wool/silk for the skirt) are fabulous. Both really remind of old school J. Crew and why I love J. crew so much. I am 5'4" and I still wish the dress was longer! I will have my tailor take down the hem for me to get another inch or so.
ReplyDeleteLouise, I was tempted to get the skirt, too, but just decided to go for the dress. I hope they make a cotton version in the skirt for Factory.
DeleteLouise, yes! That must be why I like them so much. I received the san remo print shirtdress yesterday from a JCA, and I was shocked at how nice it was. The silk twill was about triple the thickness of any silk twill I've seen recently at J.Crew.
DeleteThis is a beautiful dress, and your legs go one forever, lucky woman! I wonder if it could be paired with a longer skirt for the office? Some of my fave style bloggers are really incredible, re-mixing shorter dresses over longer skirts.
ReplyDeleteI so envy your long legs! The high-waist in most J. Crew dresses works to my favor being short, I'm surprised they don't make it more a normal (?) waist length to accommodate more ladies. I love this dress on you and think the pleating is just beautiful. As for length, as long as your fingertips don't go past your hem, you're good :)
ReplyDelete