Ok, it wasn't really a blue light special, but my OOTD today does feature a top from one of my favorite stores - Kmart! Where I grew up, there was no Walmart nearby and only a couple of Targets, but tons of Kmarts. I don't know, there's something about Kmart, the scrappy underdog now, that I really like. I just try to ignore the fact that most of the stores haven't been updated in 20 years and that they never, EVER have enough checkouts open. Oh well, at least some of them have little caesars pizza.
I'm guessing most of you reading this have never bought an item of clothing at Kmart. Well, I'm here to tell you that you should consider it, if ever you are shopping in a Kmart store. At least look in the clothing section. Often, they have amazing basics (like this tank, my favorite, which I hope they are not clearancing because it is going away forever!) for extremely cheap prices, and some more fashionable pieces, also for very reasonable prices. Of course, there are also lots of tent like tops in horrible prints, and elastic waist pants. But hey, sometimes you have to weed through lots of crap to get to the good stuff. Like this top.
Close up to show the real color. It also comes in purple! On sale now for $13.99, regularly a whopping $19.99. It reminds me of the Max Studio tops I always see at TJ Maxx for $34.99, but the jersey on the Kmart top is much, much nicer.
It looks kind of meh on the model, and I would never have ordered it
just based on the photo, but the colors are so vibrant in person, the
background a pretty teal and lots of other rich tones in the pattern. It
is also extremely flattering and the jersey is very fine, soft, and
lovely. Yes, it is polyester, but of course. However, it feels just like
my Lilly Pulitzer silk jersey dress, so there ya go. And as a bonus, it
has cap sleeves which allow for plenty of armpit ventilation, always a
concern with polyester tops!
And my full OOTD. Kmart top, J.Crew classic cafe capri in 6 tall, and martina wedges in bronzed clay.
These pics were taken in the Sears fitting room where I tried on a lovely new shirtdress. The J.Crew shirtdress is a hot mess, I heard on the mothership that an SA called it a muu muu... not good. Not good at all
The Land's End shirtdress, which does not look like a muu muu, is called the woven pique shirt dress, and you can see it here.
It is $90 and 100% cotton and extremely flattering. It does suffer from tight arm syndrome, big time. There is no way I could get this in 6, which is what I tried, and is my regular size. The arms were horribly tight and the chest buttons would probably pop open if I moved... yet the waist was not too tight at all.
It also pulled at the chest, but that is typical for me. If I sized up to an 8, the waist would be loose but I could just cinch it. I really, really like this dress and I hope it goes on sale someday. I think the length is perfectly practical and the fabric is so soft and light. Just lovely.
Thanks for stopping in to check out my cheapie store finds!




Love the colour and the shape of the LE dress! Hope you are able to get it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rose!
DeleteI have actually bought a few items over the years at Kmart. It's a great place for kids and juniors' clothes, too.
ReplyDeleteI love looking at LE when I'm in Sears, but it's so pricey I just use it for Inspiration and then thrift a knockoff look.
Hi Lynne, thank you so much for stopping by! Their kids clothes are great. We always buy kids clothes there for the kid we sponsor for xmas gifts every Xmas.
DeleteThrifting a knockoff look is genius. I love your blog and seeing all of the amazing deals you get thrifting! You are very talented!
just found your blog and except for the fact that I am about 6" shorter (eek) I seem to be about the same size (yeah that way-too-short-direct-to-final-sale- dress you tried on in Feb, might have been perfect for me). Should be fun to read your blog. I do occasionally go into K Mart esp. when boyfriend is in fishing or gardening or somewhere ... there was a really nice floral water color print skirt I liked in a previous season, but by the time I saw it, it was only in size 2 or 18... and I forgot about it :(
ReplyDeleteC, I am so happy you found me! Kmart does occasionally churn out the lovely items. I love the print on this dress, but I hate the elastic sleeves. Too bad.
Deletewow, that is a nice print....but I also hate the sleeves which would look childish...all puffy sleeves look silly on me...and they get "stuck" in sweaters and jackets.
ReplyDelete